With the Holidays and colder weather upon us, the FDNY Foundation and FDNY want to make sure that you and your family remain safe. More than one third of home fires occur during the months of December, January and February. Below are some #FDNYSmart safety tips to use this holiday season to make sure you and your loved ones stay safe:
• Make sure you have a working smoke detector on every level of your home.
• Never leave open flame candles unattended. Keep lit candles away from decorations and all combustible objects.
• Discard and do not use lights that have loose bulb connections.
• Use clips, not nails, to hang lights, so the wiring does not get damaged.
• If you are getting a real tree, choose a freshly cut one. Live trees need water, check and refill often. Keep your tree away from heat sources, sparks or flames.
• Never use the kitchen oven or gas range to heat your home or apartment. This could lead to an accumulation of dangerous levels for carbon monoxide, which can lead to serious illness, or even death.
• Space heaters should be on a flat surface at least three feet from anything that can burn and should always be turned off when leaving a room or going to sleep.
To see more #FDNYSmart safety tips, click here
The FDNY Foundation wishes you and your family a Happy, Healthy, and Safe holiday season!