Brooklyn Borough President Supports FDNY in New BudgetNovember 18, 2015
Foundation Celebrates EMT Graduation: Class Includes Seven FDNY High School AlmuniJanuary 6, 2016
Fatal Fire Spurs Safety Reminder
In the wake of a fire on Sat., Nov. 28 that killed two people and injured two more, the FDNY Foundation joins the FDNY to remind New Yorkers to stay safe by making sure their homes have working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
“The most important thing about a working smoke/CO detector is early detection of fire. With early warning, we have more time to escape safely,” said Lt. Anthony Mancuso, FDNY Director of Fire Education. “We know that a working smoke alarm can cut your risk of dying in a fire in half. This holiday season especially, we would like to remind New Yorkers to take this simple step to keep themselves – and their families – safe.”
The Foundation recently joined Mayor Bill de Blasio, Council Speaker Melissa Mark Viverito, Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro, and the NY Red Cross to launch a new fire safety program – #GetAlarmedNYC.
#GetAlarmedNYC is the largest smoke alarm giveaway and installation program in the country. The fire and life safety initiative will provide free installation of 100,000 Kidde combination smoke/carbon monoxide alarms to tens of thousands of city residents, targeting communities that are the greatest risk of fire according to statistics and analysis done by the FDNY.
New York City residents will be able to get more information about the program by calling 311. In addition, the FDNY and American Red Cross will host community events where city residents can schedule installations in their homes. For a list of events where you can sign up to participate in this program, please click here.
"The most important thing about a working smoke/CO detector is early detection of fire. With early warning, we have more time to escape safely. We know that a working smoke alarm can cut your risk of dying in a fire in half. This holiday season especially, we would like to remind New Yorkers to take this simple step to keep themselves - and their families - safe."