Fatal Fire Prompts Fire Safety Reminders

Behind the Scenes: Calendar of Heroes
August 1, 2014
Foundation Celebrates Swiss Army Partnership
August 28, 2014
Show all

Fatal Fire Prompts Fire Safety Reminders

FDNY Foundation Joins FDNY to Remind New Yorkers to be Vigilant about Fire Safety After Fatal Fire

A fire that left a 15-year-old girl dead and injured several firefighters has members of the FDNY reminding New Yorkers of two important fire safety messages.

Fire marshals report the 4-alarm fire in Hamilton Heights, Manhattan on Aug. 18 was caused by a power strip plugged into an extension cord, that was then run under a heavy piece of furniture.

Members of the FDNY Fire Safety Education Unit, which is funded by the FDNY Foundation, said power strips should not be plugged into extension cords. They said the cords cannot support the electricity necessary for a power strip.

They also said anything placed on top of electrical cords can damage the cords and start a fire.

Fire marshals also noted the fire was able to spread quickly throughout the building because the apartment doors were open. They said closing the door can slow the spread of fire and decrease damage.

“Commissioner Daniel Nigro said it best when he said there are things everyone can do to prevent a tragedy like this in their own home,” said FDNY Foundation Chairman Stephen Ruzow. “A primary goal of our organization is to continue to spread fire safety education throughout the city.”

“When we prevent fires, we prevent lost lives and we prevent injuries,” added FDNY Foundation Executive Director Jean O’Shea.

Learn more about the Foundation’s fire and life safety education programs HERE.