Public Awareness & Outreach
The FDNY Foundation provides funding to the New York City Fire Department to educate, inform and involve the public in protecting life and property in the event of emergency. Thanks to your generosity, the Foundation can continue to support these critical public safety initiatives.
- FDNY Fire Smart Website is an interactive website designed for Kids, Teachers, Parents, and Seniors to learn fire safety. Becoming fireSMART means learning how to spot fire hazards and knowing what to do if there’s a fire at your home, your school, or anywhere. Check out our games, tips, and fun activities
- Public Awareness Campaigns: Increase safety through Public Safety Announcements and multilingual, multimedia fire safety outreach campaigns.
Fire Safety Education Unit (FSEU) and community outreach programs bring active and retired firefighters to promote fire safety at schools, senior centers, fairs, shopping centers, businesses, community boards and neighborhood groups throughout the City.Learn More
- September 11th Anniversary Ceremonies The FDNY Foundation funded several September 11th Anniversary Ceremonies
- FDNY Fire Zone, a state-of-the-art learning center and retail store in Rockefeller Center. Offering safety instruction from a firefighter-educator, the facility allows young people and adults to experience the dangers of fire, recognize the important role firefighters play and share in the pride of the FDNY by purchasing official department merchandise. Learn More
- Fire Zone on the Road: mobile Fire Safety Houses that enable the FSEU to travel anywhere in the city so groups can practice effective fire evacuation techniques in a realistic setting.Read More
- Public/Private Partnerships with companies to promote fire safety education by distributing thousands of batteries, smoke detectors,carbon monoxide detectors, and fire safety literature/media every year. Learn More
- FDNY Family Assistance Unit and Counseling Unit help meet the needs of firefighters and their families impacted by sickness, tragedy or other challenges.Learn More
- Be 911 Compressions Only CPR Program provide free bystander CPR training as well as a take-home refresher kit to participants. Citizens learn how to keep strangers and loved ones alive until medical help arrives and can use these kits to share the life-saving skills with others.Learn More
- The FDNY Explorers Program increases the visibility of the Department in diverse areas by educating young men and women,ages 14-20, about careers in the FDNY and trains them to spread important fire safety messages.Learn More
- Juvenile Fire Setters Intervention Program, run by the Bureau of Fire Investigation, provides successful outreach to youth at risk for committing arson. Informative and corrective for the individual as well as his or her guardians, the program has a zero recidivism rate among participants.
- FDNY High School for Fire and Life Safety is a model for other urban schools, where inner city students are offered an intensive educational and career development program that gives them the opportunity to earn an EMT certificate at 18 years of age. Read More
- Fire Prevention Week & EMS Week The FDNY Foundation sponsors FDNY Fire Prevention Week and FDNY EMS week to teach the public critical life saving skills.