Equipment & Technology
The FDNY and EMS protect over 53 million local residents, U.S. tourists and international visitors each year. The FDNY sets world standards for fire suppression, pre-hospital medical care and emergency response. Your charitable donations help uphold this standard of excellence, allowing for the FDNY Foundation’s purchase of equipment and investments in state of the art technology.
- Mobile Command Posts: A state of-the-art mobile communication and tactical support equipment vehicle for handling large-scale post-9/11 incident responses in NYC. Deployed to the Manhattan Borough Command, it is also used for multiple alarm fires or multiple causality incidents.
- Communications Equipment, including Post Radios and Repeaters, equip Firefighters to better communicate under severe operating conditions usually found in fires, particularly in high-rise buildings and subways.
- EMS Medical Visual Language Translator Cards were issued to 3,000 EMS Paramedics and Emergency Medical Technicians to help them better communicate with non-English speaking patients about symptoms and treatment during EMS emergency field calls.
- Wind-driven Fire Research was conducted in partnership with Polytechnic University and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to develop more effective firefighting techniques used in high-rise multiple dwellings fires during high wind conditions.
- Carbon Monoxide Dosimeters: Specialized equipment to quickly detect dangerous CO levels in home, multiple dwelling or commercial office building emergencies were provided to Fire and EMS units.